Tuesday, September 18, 2012

If you could chose your life, what would it look like? Does this align with the person God wants you to be? Could this be your calling?

These are things that I have been asking myself a lot recently. I have been reading the book If You Want to walk on Water You've Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortberg. (Which if you are the person who loaned that to us, let me know so I can get you a replacement.) Some of the things that have stood out to me are as follows: 

A calling is something that is discovered not chosen.
We each have been given gifts, talents, longings & desires. We must work to identify these, develop them, and use them to humbly and joyfully serve God. 
What brings you joy? What do you desire & are passionate about? 

I also heard an interview on KLove with Caroline Dowd Higgins, who is a career coach and Brian Ray CEO with Crossroads Career Network. A lot of what they had to say fell in line with the above thoughts from the book. The part that stood out to me in her interview was when one of them said that people need to give themselves permission to change their minds, referring to their career choices.

So, now that I have some disjointed thoughts out, I'll ask again, If you could chose your life, what would it look like?
For me I have determined that I would be a stay at home mom (which is quickly becoming a passion to help others who want this achieve it). 
I would be organized to a "T". I'm pretty organized, but no where near what I want to be. 
Be well dressed (I'll admit that I'm obsessed with the Eddie Bauer catalog.)
I desire to have the ability to give both of my time and financially to charity and missions work.
To be a leader in Women's ministries.
To have the time and money to be able to travel.
Provide a comfortable life for Aiden and any future children.

I have a feeling that somewhere within those lines is my calling. Guess I will have to wait to see where the journey takes me. 

Here's to finding our calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment